Monday, May 29, 2017

Shaking hands with an Apostle of the Lord

Olá,

Monday night I  went to Tejo to spend the night for transfers. The next morning, we studied then had a few hours until transfers so we went and did contacts on the Metro, I gave a Book of Mormon away to a cool lady. After we went went to Sete Rios and then I returned to Almada with Elder Fisk, he is from Tooele, Utah and  his Dad also served a mission in Tennessee like my Dad did. He is a "Maquina" or machine at working. We are both confident that we will baptize this transfer!

I finally learned how to receive a referral. For my whole mission until this point I have said do you know anyone that would like a message about Christ, or something like that. I think we had received 1 reference like that. I learned from Elder Haws to rather say do you know a Brazilian, African, or Portuguese in this apartment complex, depending where they are from. From this way we have received a lot of referrals this way. We had an appointment fall through then Elder Fisk knocked on a door, she was not interested and was closing the door then he said wait do you have some water? She then filled up a jug of water and gave it to him then was closing the door again and I said wait do you know an African in this Predio, she said yes in the Cave (Basement) there is one his name is Pedro. So we knocked on his door and said that we were missionaries and he said, I am Mormon. Come in I have proof he then showed us his baptismal certificate, Book of Mormon and Gospel Principles Books. He was a less active and we didn't know him and had never seen his address on the roster. We talked about living prophets and Apostles and invited him to hear elder Andersen speak on Sunday.

After that we went to pass an address from the area book of a person who expressed interest a while back. They weren't home and as we were leaving the apartment I saw a man who looked really familiar, It was Abel! we had lost contact for him for over a month, we talked with him for a minute and scheduled an appointment for later. It was a Miracle finding him, there were 10 little things that lead up to finding him. 

We taught Evandro a powerful lesson about the Restoration and Book of Mormon then invited him to listen to Elder Andersen and he came with us!

The first group meeting in Cova da Piedade was held yesterday in Irmã Daniela´s home. It was small with 7 people and was less than 30 minutes, just a little sacrament meeting but it went really well. We will work a lot more in that area this week to grow the group so that eventually the church can buy a building there.

Sunday night we were walking to knock one of the roads in the north part of our area we accidentally made a turn on a road and didn't notice, then I saw a woman who looked really familiar, It was Sofia! I had talked to her about 2 months ago on the Metro, I couldn't believe that we ran into her. We then invited her to our group meeting in Cova da Piedade next week. Milagre.

We passed a less active who wasn't home, left the apartment and a man happened to be walking by at that very second named Tiago, we talked with him and he told us about how his friend gave him a Book of Mormon a while back and he had read past Jacob! and wanted to know more! Milagre!

Yesterday we went to the Piaget Institute to hear Elder Andersen speak, Portuguese is his 4th language that he said he hadn't spoken in over 2 years. He had a member help him through some pf his words haha. He spoke a lot about tithing and the blessing that come from it, at the end he gave a powerful testimony repeating a few times, "Eu sei que ele vive" or "I know that He lives, I know that He lives" Oh what a blessing it was to hear an Apostle of the Lord speak, the third in my life. Afterward he surprisingly walked through the middle aisle and shook hands with everyone. I waited for my turn and eventually was able to shake his hand! Such a rare experience!

Até Proximo,
Elder Anderson
-Dallin didn't send any pictures this week... :(

No comments:

Post a Comment