Monday, October 10, 2016

A Tender Mercy from the Lord

Hey Everyone,

Wow I can't believe yet another week has gone by. I have 2 weeks left then I will be off to Portugal! We should get our travel plans either today or tomorrow. Yesterday I was released as District leader and my Companion Elder Joder is the new District leader. Elder Cortez and Elder Martel are the new Zone leaders because Elder Goes and Elder Barnes are leaving to go to Boston tomorrow. When I got here they had only been here 2 weeks, now it is crazy to think that they are going and we are older than most of the Districts here.

Last night we had a Devotional by Brother Heaton, one of the administrators at the MTC. He brought his son who has Down Syndrome, he was cool. He talked about our call as missionaries and how we are called to declare repentance, how repentance is a good thing that draws us nearer to God and makes Him happy. He asked us is our goal to make God more or Less happy? Repentance is not just something we do when we commit major sins, but yet a way of life, something that we use and apply in our lives daily. I really enjoyed his talk. 

Saturday the first miracle of my mission occurred. My Dad's sister got married on Saturday morning at the Provo City Temple which is near the MTC.  My Dad flew in Friday and was only staying 2 days. I knew that they would be driving by after the wedding so I glanced out the window a few times hoping to see them drive by but never did. After dinner we had exercise time, half of our zone played volleyball and half went to the field to play soccer. I had played volleyball everyday that week. As everyone went different ways, I was like its a nice day out here, might as well enjoy it and play soccer. We played soccer with the Russians again, it was a lot of fun.

After the game we happened to have the far side of the field so we were some of the last ones up and were asked to help clean up. We went to help put the far goal up and Elder Joder even helped clean up for longer than we were asked to which held us back a few minutes. We then headed back to the Residence a few minutes after the rest of the missionaries had left. We missed the crosswalk signal by about 10 seconds of so so we had to wait a minute. When the cross walk signal said walk, we started walking across as a Green Astro Van pulled up to the light. I was like wow that van looks familiar (grandma and grandpa's van). I then looked and saw my Dad and Uncle Spencer. I couldn't believe it. I ran across the road as my Dad jumped out of the car and gave him a big hug. Uncle Spencer parked the car on the side of the turn in lane into the MTC and got out and I gave him a hug too. I was in shock. I was so happy to see my Dad who I knew was close by but I thought there was know way I would be able to see or talk to him. It was incredible to be reminded of all the support I have from family and friends. It motivated me to work harder in the MTC and to be a better missionary. I talked with Dad for about 5 or 10 minutes then said goodbye a second time. I was so happy to see him. It made by day. 

I know that God knows and loves each one of us personally. He cares for us and understands our desires and concerns. There were a hundred of little things that could of gone different and I wouldn't of been able to see him. It was literally perfect timing. I didn't have a prompting to play soccer, but the Holy Ghost guided my thoughts to do so. I know that I have relatives and ancestors watching over me who helped to orchestrate this remarkable event. It was truly a miracle from the Lord. 
 The MTC Draft
 ​The Portugal Flag, I was so happy to get it!
 Candy from home!

 ​I was so blessed to get awesome packages last week!
 ​Kyle Lemperly, BYU Vocal Points main singer, he served in the Portugal Lisbon Mission and was our substitute teacher on Saturday.
 The Provo Temple
 With my Companion, Elder Joder
The Boston Elders

(Mom inserted pictures of the miraculous event below!) 




Here is what Jon posted about this truly awesome experience: Just had one of the best experiences in my life. My son Dallin is in the Missionary Training Center preparing to serve a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I was not going to see him until he returned in two years. I am in Utah for my sisters wedding and drove past the MTC after the reception. We stopped at the light in front off the MTC and some missionaries were crossing the street. I looked up and there stood Dallin. I jumped out of the car and had the chance to talk with him for a few minutes. What a gift! So proud of him. He is happy and doing well! Love that kid! #tendermercy

No comments:

Post a Comment