Monday, October 17, 2016

David A. Bednar Devotional

Hey Everyone,

Another week has flown by, only 8 days until we leave to Portugal. We got our travel plans on Friday. We fly from Salt Lake to Amsterdam, have a 4 hour layover then fly to Lisbon. With the Time change it will be 24 hours or Travel. I am so excited for the field! 

Tuesday night we had a Devotional by David A Bednar. It was super cool. I sat in the middle of the second row and was about 15 feet away from him. He spoke about General Conference talks. He said that every talk by the apostles have 3 things: a Doctrine or Principle, Invitation and a Promised Blessing. We than watched parts of about 5 talks from conference and identified the 3 things. He told us that if we do the invitation that the Promised blessing is sure. It was amazing to hear from an Apostle of the Lord. He quoted D&C  1:38 "What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and  I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same."

Saturday evening I decided to play soccer again. About half way through the game I looked at the parking lot and saw a car slowly driving with their windows down looking at the missionaries playing soccer. This is very common here with so many missionary's family members living close by. The car stopped and Brother Whitaker got out! I couldn't believe it! I knew they were in Provo for the BYU game but I did not think I was going to see them. I ran up and game him a hug and talked with him, Sister Whitaker and Justin for a little while. It was so crazy and fun. Saturday evening soccer has treated me well.

Last night we had a Devotional by Vai Sikahema, He played running back for BYU in the 80's and was on the 1984 National Championship team. He then was drafted by the Cardinals and played 8 years in the NFL. He now is a News reporter on the NBC Sports network. He was the first Tongan ever to play in the NFL. The first thing he told us was to put our notebooks away haha He told some amazing stories about his experience playing football and how it blessed his family's life. He talked about how the Philadelphia Temple construction was held up for 3 years and how it was eventually approved. The story was amazing. He also told a story about Scott O'neal, the 76ers and a NHL teams CEO, and his conversion story to the church. It was so cool. 

Sunday before dinner I began to get a sore throat. It continued to get worse and worse, then my whole body began to feel tired and I felt like I was getting the flu. After the Devotional I skipped the movie and went straight to bed. I woke up at 4:45 to go to the 5:40 Temple Session, but I felt terrible so we split up and I slept till about 8:30 and I went to the Temple around 9:20 instead. I feel a little better than last night but I still feel the flu coming on. Until next week.

 Travel Plans!

 The "Y" lit up for BYU's Homecoming
 My Desk

The District

No comments:

Post a Comment